About this site
A free XMPP service is provided at honigdachse.de, it's also available as an onion service. The in-band registration is currently deactivated due to spam. But you may direct your browser over here to create a new user account at honigdachse.de. After creation you can use a regular xmpp client, like Gajim or Conversations, with your credentials to connect to the XMPP network. The software will be kept up to date and all modern recommendations for the installation will be considered, so the service will work like you'd expect it from a modern messaging solution.
The service is supplied by ejabberd. The amount of logging and saving of user information is kept at a minimum, only error messages or warnings will show up in the logs. There won't be any traces of which client connected to which server in the logs. This also means that regular logins or the sending of messages will never be logged. On top of that,
hide_sensitive_log_data: true is set, so ejabberd will never write IP addresses or other sensitive data into the log file.
The onion service is running on port 5222:
Which data will be saved?
- Your username
- The hash value of your password
- A list of your contacts
- Your avatar
- Offline messages - If someone is writing a message to you and your client is offline, it will be saved on the server until you're online again
- Archive - By default, your chat log will be saved on the server. This can be helpful if you decide to use several clients at the same time, the history will be synchronized. This setting can be deactivated in your client.
- Files - Every file you share with your contacts or groups will be saved on the server for 90 days, they will deleted automatically after that.
- Other data your xmpp client provides, for example bookmarks for your chat groups, nicknames, etc.
Which data will explicitly not be saved?
- Your ip address or location
- The times when you log in or in general the times when you use this service
What happens if I delete my account?
- Your uploaded files will be deleted after 90 days
- Your account, including all the messages and all other data, will be immediately deleted from the server
Where can I delete my account?
Just follow this link.
Help, I lost my password! Can you send me a new one?
Short answer: I can't help you, please use a password manager like KeePass next time.
Your password is being saved in the database with the help of a cryptographic hash function, it is not saved in cleartext and therefore even I can't extract it from the database. A safe method for resetting a password is not exactly easy to implement because you would always need to rely on a second factor (SMS, OTP, smartcard, ...) to make sure you are the legimitate person. This would need special infrastructure which I'm currently not able and/or willing to provide.